Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter

So yesterday was Easter, and I must say that I am yet to celebrate a holiday in Mexico the same way we celebrate in the States. The holidays are so different here and Easter is no exception.

For example in American churches, Easter tends to be a rather important holiday. Lent might have been mentioned in March, or at least there would have been a message on Palm Sunday about Jesus entering Jerusalem. Lots of churches have a Good Friday service and then there are sunrise services or special Easter services. Here in Mexico, there was none of that. No mention of it being the holy week or Palm Sunday or Good Friday.

I asked one of my boys about why Easter is not a big deal? I said, why don't we celebrate or even mention more of the events around Jesus' death and resurrection. His response surprised me, he said, "Andrea only Catholics make a big deal out of Easter." Interesting I thought. I guess in Mexico, it seems kinda to be one extreme or the other.

Needless to say Micah's first Easter wasn't that great. There was no cute outfit or easter eggs and basket. Basically this means that one year we are definitely going to have to spend Easter in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment