Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Blog Worthy Day

So yesterday was a blog worthy day. It started out great and then began to head downhill as Jill and I went to the middle school to pick up the middle school student's grades. It was an interesting experience and the first official business I have done as a house mom. I must say it wasn't that great.

Five of my boys are in middle school and three of them are failing at least one class. One of my boys is failing four classes. One teacher who had a meeting with all the parents, had actually written out a list of all the bad things about each of her students and gave them out to the parents. It was a depressing day. Very depressing.

So then because of these bad grades, there were quite a few confrontations in the house last night. The boys are frustrated because their privileges have been restricted and I am sad because it seems the boys don't really understand the importance of school. They are all so smart and capable, though laziness abounds. So it was rough evening.

* * *

On another topic, Ricardo and I are getting ready to go back to Baja for a time. I can't believe we are going to be leaving in like a week or so. I think we are heading out of here on the 23rd, and the thought of leaving breaks my heart. We will hopefully be coming back here after our trip to Haiti and doing a few things at our house. I'm praying we are back at the beginning of March.

Being here in Oaxaca has been so fulfilling and wonderful. We have worked with incredible people and fallen in love with the most amazing children (even if they do get bad grades). We have felt so accepted and loved here by the other missionaries and we cannot wait to return. It's only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment